Clients and Industries
During his career, Will has represented companies, institutions, executives, managers and licensed professionals from many different industries. He is particularly well acquainted with the investment banking, securities trading, and insurance sectors of the financial services industry. A number of his clients have also come from various sectors of the health care industry and the aerospace/defense industry.
Practice Areas and Experience
Will focuses on securities litigation and business litigation. Will has handled civil litigation involving all kinds of commercial disputes, as well as client responses to government investigations and enforcement actions. He has appeared in state and federal courts, as well as various government and industry forums, including those of the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”).
In civil matters, he has dealt with a wide range of issues related to shareholder complaints, private equity investor disputes, professional services agreements, merger and joint venture agreements and non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
His experience defending clients in criminal cases include representing witnesses and defendants in matters alleging securities and bank fraud, health care fraud, defense procurement fraud and public corruption.
Will writes about securities litigation topics at The Securities Litigator.
Professional Experience Outside of Beck Reed Riden LLP
Prior to joining Beck Reed Riden LLP, in 2013, Will practiced in New York at Shearman & Sterling LLP and in Boston at Collora LLP, representing clients in connection with Department of Justice, SEC, FINRA and state Attorney General investigations. Will also represented companies sued by shareholders alleging securities fraud.
In 2001-2003, Will served as a law clerk to the Honorable Ernest C. Torres in the United States District Court in Rhode Island and, prior to that, as an extern in the prosecutor’s office of the war crimes court for the former Yugoslavia located in the Netherlands.
Sample of Results in Practice*
- Obtained dismissal of shareholder derivative action alleging securities fraud brought against telecommunications company client.
- Obtained dismissal of action brought by sophisticated investor against a hedge fund client accused of failure to make certain disclosures about an investment fund.
- Obtained dismissal of a wrongful termination lawsuit brought against a retailer client by a former employee.
- Negotiated immunity agreement for client in grand jury proceedings relating to alleged public corruption.
- Successfully represented investment bank in governmental investigations into financial products sold to state entity. State regulator declined to pursue enforcement action against client.
- Successfully represented vice-president of brokerage firm in SEC investigation alleging failure to provide asset allocation monitoring for account holders, settling the case to the client’s satisfaction.
- Successfully represented laboratory services provider in litigation against managed care organization where client sought a significant amount of money for services provided to the defendant’s insureds, settling the dispute to the client’s satisfaction after effective pre-trial advocacy.
- Successfully represented client that was a potential target of a mortgage fraud indictment, negotiating an immunity agreement in exchange for testimony.
- Successfully represented a defense contractor in a government investigation into questionable sourcing for counterfeit computer chips with the result that the government declined to charge the client.
- Successfully represented national health management company in suit alleging that client misled plaintiff hospital about an insured’s COBRA eligibility. Brought third-party suit against claims administrator and settled the matter to the client’s satisfaction after negotiations.
- Successfully represented national bank in an investigation by a state securities regulator into allegations of the sale of a product that was unsuitable for a particular investor. No complaint was issued against the client.
- Counseled Fortune 100 company on sales tax issues, including ways to reduce and limit exposure related to such taxes.
* This sampling of cases represents a selected, small portion of this lawyer’s total experience, and past performance is not intended to be a representation of likely future results, which must be assessed on a case-by-case basis.