Shannon has more than 20 years of experience and has successfully defended employers before federal and state courts and agencies against claims including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, breach of contract, violations of wage and hour laws, and violations of leave laws.
Shannon provides day-to-day counseling and compliance assistance for employers in all areas of employment law, including:
- Hiring and drafting offer letters
- Drafting workplace policies and employee handbooks
- Managing employee performance
- Disciplining employees
- Handling leave requests and requests for reasonable accommodation
- Drafting noncompetes and other restrictive covenants
- Terminating employees
Shannon’s work includes litigating noncompete disputes. She also has experience in defending wage and hour class actions and collective actions.
In addition, Shannon regularly conducts workplace audits and investigations on behalf of employers. She also assists employers with drafting and negotiating executive employment and severance agreements.
Shannon has represented clients across a broad range of industries, including, financial services, technology, healthcare, retail, hospitality, communications, transportation, and staffing.
Shannon, an MCAD-certified trainer, trains management and employees on a variety of topics, including discrimination and harassment prevention, diversity, litigation avoidance, and healthcare law compliance.
Shannon has been selected for inclusion in the 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014 editions of Massachusetts Super Lawyers for her work in labor and employment and the defense of employment litigation.
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly article about a Massachusetts state court decision in a noncompete lawsuit, April 2014, Quoted
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly article about federal court decision in noncompete lawsuit, January 2014, Quoted
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly article about gender discrimination lawsuit, February 2013, Quoted
Management-Side Employment Litigation and Counseling
– Wage and Hour
– Wrongful Termination
– Leave Laws
– Workplace Policies
– Severance Agreements
Boston College Law School (J.D.,1995)
University of Notre Dame (B.A., cum laude, 1992)
MCAD Train-the-Trainer Program (2003)
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
U. S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States
Boston Bar Association; Co-Chair, New Partners Forum
Boston College Club Membership Committee