Beck Reed Riden LLP is pleased to make available its updated 50 state (plus DC) survey chart of noncompete laws. The chart is a summary of employee noncompetition laws and applicable standards throughout the country.
- Whether noncompete agreements are permitted in the state
- Governing statutory authority, if any
- Identification of the protectable interests (also known as legitimate interests or legitimate business interests)
- Applicable standards for enforcement
- Industries or professions exempt from noncompete agreements
- Whether continued employment is sufficient consideration to support a noncompete
- Whether the state follows the reformation rule (also known as “judicial modification,” the “rule of reasonableness,” the “reasonable alteration approach,” and the “partial-enforcement” rule), the blue pencil doctrine, or the red pencil doctrine (also known as the “all or nothing” rule)
- Whether non-compete agreements are enforceable against at-will employees whose employment was terminated without cause
The chart is available for download here.
This version was updated as of August 14, 2013.
Check back for periodic updates or email us at email@example.com, and we will automatically send the latest updates as they become available.
Please note that the chart is not legal advice, nor is it a substitute for proper legal research and advice. It is provided for informational purposes only.
is among the leading authorities in trade secret, noncompete, and unfair competition law, and our experience handling these matters is backed by our extensive employment law and business litigation experience. Our hand-picked team combines attorneys with complementary expertise and practical experience.
Beck Reed Riden LLP is Boston’s innovative litigation boutique. Our lawyers have years of experience at large law firms, working with clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to start-ups and individuals. We focus on business litigation and labor and employment. We are experienced litigators and counselors, helping our clients as business partners to resolve issues and develop strategies that best meet our clients’ legal and business needs – before, during, and after litigation. We’re ready to roll up our sleeves and help you. Read more about us, the types of matters we handle, and what we can do for you here.